Saturday 1 January 2011

Exciting times for 550D/T2i Owners

If like me you own a Canon 550d/T2i you may be aware of the Magic Lantern open platform for developing the firmware on the 5D, and now at the end of 2010 the latest 550D version of the firmware are available to download.



Magic Lantern have brought what video users of DSLR's have been asking for with the latest version I have been testing the 24/12/2010, you now have control over elements of your video that were previously not available when using just the official canon firmware.

Now you can choose your white balance via kelvin from 1700k to 10,000k, select a much wider iso range including 160/320/640/1250 which you could not before. You can have an active Histogram on your live display along with active zebra markings for under and over exposed areas.
Blue checks show under exposed areas on the frame.
You can now disable the hideous AGC (auto gain control) and actual control the audio levels going into the camera via the internal or an external input, you have control over the analogue gain and your able to add digital gain to the individual channels.

Over the next few weeks I will be doing more tests with my camera I have already done a few audio and video tests and once I edit the footage I will be uploading my findings.

For now here is an iso test I will be trying lots of tests to see if its really worth using magic Lantern on your 550D. If you have any good ideas on a test you would like to see let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment