Friday 28 October 2011

Is your Macbook embarrassed by the size of its small drive?

After months of my Macbook Pro feeling inadequate by the size of its Hard Drive I decided to treat it to a bit surgery and give it a drive 3 times its original size. I felt that increasing the girth of its drive would increase its confidence and it would no longer feel embarrassed and mocked by other macs due it always running out of disk space.


After a number of friends had recently performed this op on there macs I felt well it must be easy if those idiots can do it can, so I decided that a Western Digital 750GB 2.5" SATA-II Scorpio Black Hard Drive - 7200RPM 16MB Cache would give my mac its confidence back 


Look at the size of that thing
So I downloaded this great piece of software called Super Duper which is produced by shirt-pocket. This offers you a great cloning tool for free that enables you to back up your current internal drive to an external drive then allows you to specify the backed up drive as your new boot drive. In theory even my mum would be able to do this so I backed up the drive and all appeared to be fine, I backed up the drive and then tested the new drive via the caddy and my machine booted 1st time and the new 750Gb seemed to work.


Great I thought now its time to take apert my Macbook Pro which again isn't hard to do loads of tutorials out there but its only a few screws and your in there.


So I slip in the new BIG Shinny 750GB Black drive turn on the power and.......Nothing not a thing well apart from a white screen with a flashing folder icon with a question mark.


This wasn't meant to happen this was meant to be an easy op.


Ok I have now spent 2 days scouring the internet and as always you come across a million and one possible issues but not one definitive solution.


So Im now stuck with MBP that only seems to boot via its old drive internally or via the new drive if it sit in an external caddy.


So now my MBP is even more embraced by its lack of internal GB's as it needs to have an extension that sits on the outside in order to perform.


So if your mac asks you for some surgical enhancement maybe its best just to tell it that it should be proud of what it already has.

** UPDATE Well after much hair pulling I just decided to copy over the files the old way installing the drive and installing OSX from the disks supplied with my mac and then this allowed me to copy over all the info off my old drive using my StarTech USB to SATA IDE HDD Docking Station.


Star Tech Dock


Having a hard drive dock is great if you swap drives a lot or need to pull files off drives that you have that are no longer in machines.


All in all the new drive is running well in my 13" Macbook pro.






No comments:

Post a Comment